Cyprus, an island rich in ancient history, myths and legends, and known as the island of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, promises love and happiness to all who visit it. Apart from being a wonderful place for their holidays, for a large number of these visitors Cyprus represents the idealic place for a very special and personal occasion that of their wedding. In accordance with the provisions of the relative Law, the Municipality of Yermasoyia - as well as all the other Municipalities of Cyprus, have the right to officiate civil weddings.
The procedure for acquiring the marriage licence is simple, as long as the interested parties have all the relevant information and all necessary documents.
Instructions for the arrangement of civil weddings
People who wish to have a civil wedding in Cyprus must apply in person to the Officiator of Marriage Services at the Municipality of their choice with the following documents:
- Declaration of being single/divorced/widow/er
- Divorce certificate (absolute degree)
- Death certificate
- Birth certificate
- Confirmation of being single/divorced issued by the Ministry of Interior Nicosia (for the Cypriots)
- Certificate for Thalassaemia (for the Cypriots).
Civil weddings between foreigners or foreigners with Cypriots can be done in either one of the two ways described:
- By presenting notification of wedding: In the above case the marriage cannot take place within the first 15 days from the date of notification and not later than three months from that date. The interested parties will therefore have to remain in Cyprus for at least 20 days.
- Having the marriage before the lap of 15 days: The interested parties apply to the Mayor of the Municipality of their choice to register their marriage. Due to the methods which are enforced by the Municipality of Yermasoyia, a marriage with this procedure can take place in two days.
In order to have the marriage within the above procedure no special reason should be proven.
Teenagers Under 18 years of age.
Persons who have completed their 16th year of age can be allowed to marry only with their parents’ or legal guardians’ agreement. A written consent to this effect must therefore be presented.
In the event that there are no legal guardians then the consent of the Supreme Court of Limassol is needed.
NOTE: The written consent is made in the presence of the Mayor.
Fees for civil weddings:
- For a wedding with notice:128,10 euro
- For a wedding before the lap of 15 days:281,90 euro
(The above fees are due to an increase according to Cyprus Legislation).
Details concerning the necessary documents
- Declaration of being single (form their countries) These declarations (or certificates) can be from the registry office / parish registry, the Ministry of the Interior (Home office) or Foreign Ministry (Foreign Office) of their countries or even from their Embassies. The documents must be translated into Greek or English. Applicants who are holders of UK passports can take out an affidavit from the Court of Limassol or from a lawyer in England. The translated documents must be certified and signed by the above mentioned legal persons.
- Divorce certificates in the cases of divorce The divorce certificates must be from the Courts or the Church and translated into Greek or English. The certificates must be accompanied by an affidavit that the persons have not remarried.
- Death certificates in case of widowhood The death certificates, whether they are originals or certified copies, must be translated into Greek or English.
- Birth Certificate The birth certificate whether they are originals or certified copies, must be translated into Greek or English.
- Confirmation of being single/divorced issued by the Registration Department of the Ministry of Interior Nicosia.
- Cypriots wishing to have a civil wedding must produce the Marriage Officer with confirmation of being single/divorced that is issued by the Registrar at the Ministry of Interior Nicosia within a few days.In order to be given the above confirmation by the Registrar Officer, the interested party should admit a sworn declatration of being single/divorced signed at a Court and the original divorce certificate that bears the seal that became absolute.Fee payable to the Registrar for the above confirmation: 34,17euro
- Certificates of Thalassaemia. Cypriots wishing to have a civil wedding must produce Thalassaemia certificates either from a state or private doctor.
Officiation of the Civil Marriage
The marriage ceremony is officiated by the Mayor or a person authorized by the Civil Council from the Municipality of Yermasoyia. The service is held at the Cultural Centre of the Municipality.
The Cultural Centre of Yermasoyia is an old, traditional house which has been renovated to its traditional style but in a way that it can accommodate its new functions, one of them being civil weddings.
The marriage hall is also in the old traditional style as well as its furniture. The walls, again, are decorated with samples of traditional laces.
The beautiful gardens of the Centre, the centure-old church of Saint Paraskevi and the traditional narrow paths provide an ideal setting for the taking of photographs.
After the ceremony the Mayor and members of the civic Council offer their best wishes and a present to the newlyweds.
Municipality of Yermasoyia
Situated in the East of Limassol and almost joined up to it. The Municipality of Yermasoyia is 17sqr km approximately with a beasch stretching for 3.5kms of which a large part of it has been transformed into the tourist industry of the region.
It has 38 hotel units of every category with a large number of beds. Today it is one of the most important tourist destinations in Cyprus.
It is a specially beautiful area for both locals and visitors because in such a small area you have everything: Mountains, plains and sea, a modern cosmopolitan environment as well as the tradition, justifying those who call Yermasoyia the two-sided coin.